Globally, Fairtrade producer organisations can be found in 74 countries and Fairtrade products are sold in over 60. Results of a market research survey conducted in 2015 indicate that there is growing awareness of, and demand for, Fairtrade certified products. Fairtrade shoppers are very loyal to their beliefs as purchasing Fairtrade labelled goods gives consumers a powerful way of reducing poverty through their everyday shopping.
- 2013 was year of impressive growth for Fairtrade. Shoppers spent €5.5 billion on Fairtrade products, a 15 percent increase on 2012 figures.
- In Fairtrade’s biggest market, the UK, shoppers spent 12% more on Fairtrade certified products in 2011 than they did in 2010. In Fairtrade’s first and oldest market, the Netherlands, Fairtrade sales in stores and restaurants grew by 24%.
- These sales generated EUR 65 million euros in Fairtrade premium payments for farmers. The premiums are used by producers to improve their social, environmental and business conditions.
Growth in the number of producers
- There were 1210 Fairtrade certified producer organisations at the end of 2013, compared with 827 at the end of 2009.
- Over 1.5 million individual farmers and workers benefit from Fairtrade sales.
- Including family members, it is estimated that over 5 million people benefit directly from Fairtrade.
- There are at least another 70,000 members of organisations affiliated to Fairtrade certified producer groups, who also benefit from Fairtrade. This includes groups not directly involved in the production of Fairtrade products — women’s groups and cattle herders, for example.
PRODUCERS IN AFRICA
- At the beginning of 2015, there were 420 Fairtrade certified producers in Africa;
- Reported Fairtrade Premium revenues to producers in Africa and the Middle East totalled €21.3 million in 2012–13, and accounted for 22 percent of global Fairtrade Premium flows.
Fairtrade producers in Africa are exporting a wide variety of products into Fairtrade markets. To know who are the Fairtrade producers in Africa, and for more information on the products they are exporting, please access our database here.
For more information on the impact of Fairtrade, check out the latest monitoring report.